Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Travel Woes // Lost Luggage

Travel Woes is a serial within my travel posts where I talk about when things go wrong aka what the fancy travel blogs won't talk about. Enjoy!

Ah, the most dreaded moment in anybody flying's life. You're waiting for your precious suitcase to appear on the luggage corral...and it never does. Cue. Panic. Except don't. The odds are in your favor that at some point your luggage will not arrive contigo. When I flew to London in 2015, the day after Boxing Day so my bad really, the inevitable happened. My luggage did not arrive. To say I was pissed would be the understatement of the century. Please see the screenshot below. My lovely friends were convinced this was the moment I would get arrested abroad never to be seen again. Alas, that didn't happen but we had a few close calls. Let me tell you what helped me in case it happens to you.

1. Don't Get Pissed
Listen. As somebody with an infamous temper and whose own immediate family members avoid me going nuclear at all costs, I know this statement is rich coming from me but I'm serious. There are certain moments in life we have to put on our manipulative caps and play nice to our advantage. The customer service people at the airport will be more accommodating if you're friendly and they want to help you.


2. Keep Calling
I flew British Airways--NEVER AGAIN SATAN--and I called the number to check the status of my bag every few hours. Let me tell you this was the most frustrating experience.of.my.life. It was the closest talking to an automated robot I have ever come to and I was talking to an actual human. It took every molecule of energy not to fucking snap. But every call, in my opinion, got me closer to them putting my bag on the flight.  

Note: My situation was that my luggage did not make my connecting flight in Manchester. So I was initially told it would be on the next flight and then it wasn't and wasn't and wasn't. So it's my belief that my constant calling could only help my case and put a note in my file that I was not somebody to fuck with.

3. Phone a Friend
My mother is a saint among mortals. I mean that with 100% sincerity. She was able to also put in call after call trying to figure out how to get my bag. I'm not gonna lie, I'm convinced my mom and her praying and calling got me back my bag. That plus the saint of a woman, aka a real human compared to the robots I was dealing with, who actually wanted to help me. Use any resource necessary at the end of the day.

4. Don't Panic
This is the most important part. Shit happens. Travel is the art of chaos. You just gotta roll with the punches and pray your luggage arrives sooner than later. And to avoid having to go on a shopping spree for underwear and toothbrushes my biggest piece of advice is this...

5. Pack a Carry On That You Can Live Out Of For a Few Days
Before embarking on my first international trip, the best piece of advice I found was to pack your carry-on with whatever necessities you need to live out of few 2-3 days. I detail what I pack in one of my packing posts here. I have always done this and it finally paid off. I was annoyed and angry as all hell but I was able to live comfortably for the two days I was there.

I hope this never happens to any of you but if it does, know you are not alone! Stay calm and just roll with the punches. And think of it as another badge on your traveling belt. And for your entertainment, I give you the screenshot of my friends talking about my situation and pic of me with my luggage once I got it. 






1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine how aggravating it must have been to try and deal with the lost luggage situation! It's always something I worry about so I tend to pack extra stuff in my carry-on just in case. Loved reading your tips!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...